Membership Applications for Summer & School Year 2014-15 will be available starting 12:01am January 10th, 2014.
Santa Barbara Student Housing Cooperative (SBSHC) is hiring an Executive Director! This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated leader to take on an organizational leadership position for a successful affordable student housing cooperative.
The Executive Director (ED) is directly responsible for all areas of operation and development for the Santa Barbara Student Housing Co-op (SBSHC) and is directly supervised by the Board of Directors (BoD). The ED will implement the co-op’s bylaws, policies, and decisions of the BoD, while advising the BoD and organizing the membership in the effective operation of the organization. The ED will pursue operational and governance improvements, manage financial operations, develop effective training programs, ensure timely and quality maintenance and capital improvements, and represent the vision of the co-op to members and the community. The ED hires and supervises all staff and contractors. The ED will also develop and maintain relationships within the community, university, government and the cooperative movement.
• Maintain corporate records and filings
• Suggest, update, distribute, and implement bylaw and policy changes
• Maintain accessible office with posted regular hours
• Maintain a succession plan for these responsibilities
• Ensure the co-operative operates in accordance with its policies
• Maintain valuable partnerships with allied organizations
• Work with Alumni to maximize the benefit of their resources within the co-operative
Financial and Asset Management:
• Maintain and administer all accounts and other assets
• Promptly pay all bills and loan payments
• Prepare and present financial reports for the BoD
• Maintain bookkeeping and reporting systems including member accounts
• Prepare annual financial statements and tax returns
• Maintain adequate insurance coverage for property, liability, workers compensation
• Prepare budget for BoD approval and implement approved budgets
• Oversee payroll and associated taxes and reporting
• Advise BoD on funding and new proposals
• Assist house treasurers with administering house funds
• Maintain effective internal controls
Membership Recruitment and Education:
• Organize member orientation and education programs
• Ensure all members are well trained for their positions
• Motivate and engage members in operations and governance
• Assist members in resolving roommate/housemate conflicts
• Maintain a positive working environment
• Recommend new positions and hiring to the BoD as needed
• Supervise and hold staff accountable to policies
• Provide regular feedback to staff
Maintenance and Capital Improvements:
• Prepare and implement capital repair/preventative maintenance plans
• Oversee completion of repairs and ensure building safety and sanitation
• Oversee the development of a disaster preparedness plan
Preferred Characteristics/Experience: Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills; cooperative business experience; experience working with student cooperative; knowledge of student housing; ability to work closely with and take direction from students; personnel management experience; general accounting and financial skills, proficiency with Word, Excel, Quickbooks; general desire to share knowledge and skills with others.
Compensation and Benefits: The salary for this position is in the range of $35,000-$40,000 annually for work at 100 percent full time. Benefits include employer paid health insurance (Group HMO). Vacation/Holiday days include 8 paid holidays, 2 weeks at Winter Break, 1 week vacation at Spring Break, and 2 additional weeks paid vacation. 1 sick day per month.
phone: (805) 685-6964
Friends of SBSHC